- 2-3 medium beets, green tops removed
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp this little goat went to belize
- juice of 1 orange (about 1/4 cup fresh orange juice)
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 small head fennel
- 1 clamshell gotham greens gourmet medley lettuce
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted
- 1/4 cup tender herbs (such as mint, cilantro and/or basil), torn
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place each beet on a separate sheet of foil (large enough to wrap around the entire beet). Drizzle each with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Wrap foil tightly around each beet and place on a baking sheet. Roast until the beets are just tender and able to be pierced with a fork, about 50 – 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your Belize vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, Belize spice and ½ tsp salt. Season to taste with additional Belize spice and salt, as desired. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Remove the fronds from the fennel, reserving about ¼ cup. Thinly slice the fennel, using a mandoline, and roughly chop the fronds.
- Remove the beets from the oven and let cool slightly. Carefully peel each beet (we recommend using gloves!) and dice into 1/2-inch cubes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Place the Gotham Greens lettuce in a large serving bowl or platter. Top with thinly sliced fennel, beets, feta and toasted pepitas. Drizzle over your Belize vinaigrette and finish with reserved fennel fronds. Top with herbs and serve immediately.