- 1 1/2 - 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp + 1/2 tsp this little goat went to cuba
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- canola oil
- 2 bell peppers (red, yellow or orange), seeds removed and diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz. instant yellow rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, plus more for topping
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper and This Little Goat went to Cuba spice. Coat a large skillet with a drizzle of canola oil and heat over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and sear until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Add the peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes, chicken stock, 1 Tablespoon Cuba spice and 1 teaspoon salt to the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker. Nestle in the chicken, making sure it’s submerged in liquid. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the lid and stir in the rice, peas, remaining 1 Tablespoon This Little Goat went to Cuba spice and ½ teaspoon salt. Cover and continue cooking over low heat for about 10-20 minutes more, until the rice is cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro. Serve warm, topped with additional torn cilantro leaves.