- 1 cup uncooked pearl couscous
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided, plus more as needed
- 1 tsp this little goat went to belize, divided
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 bunch kale, rib removed and finely chopped (about 2 cups, loosely packed)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 small red bell pepper, small dice
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small mango, small dice
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, add couscous and canola oil and toast until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add boiling water to the toasted couscous and lower the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until just tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain couscous and mix together with ½ tsp each salt and Belize spice. Spread onto a baking sheet to cool completely.
- While couscous is cooling, whisk together 2 tablespoons each olive oil and lemon juice with ½ tsp each salt and Belize spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add cooled couscous, chickpeas, kale, scallions, carrot and mango. Pour dressing over and mix gently to combine. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, up to overnight, allowing the flavors to meld. Season to taste with salt, olive oil and lemon juice, as desired. Serve chilled or at room temperature.